When gamers build their gaming PCs, they often focus on the big, beefy specs under the hood. They spend the bulk of their time and money on a powerful GPU and CPU and leave little left over for one of the most crucial elements of any great gaming setup: the monitor. In this article, we aim to solve that dilemma for PC gamers by recommending our picks for the best gaming monitor on a budget.
Even the very best gaming monitor on a budget is not going to have all the bells and whistles of a high-end monitor, but when you look at the low cost versus the performance, you will probably be surprised at just how well these budget monitors do.
Best Gaming Monitor on a Budget FAQ
1. What Is a gaming monitor?
A gaming monitor is typically a 24-inch monitor designed for use at a close distance, rather than the much larger display many gamers use with consoles like PlayStation and Xbox. They can be much bigger, but the standard size is 24 inches. They are displays only, meaning they lack the cable inputs and audio outputs you would find on a television set, with the exception of certain models that have built-in speakers.
Image Source: Pixabay.com
2. What Makes a Great Gaming Monitor?
The picture quality is one of the most important focuses of any gaming monitor. A wide viewing angle, high resolution display, and great black levels are key. Gamers who spend a big chunk of change on a powerful PC will want to see that money up on their monitor, and these features help facilitate that. Poor-quality monitors can experience image ghosting in fast-paced games and even input lag, which can ruin a gaming experience.
3. What Features Should I Look for?
Image Source: Pixabay.com
This all depends on what you want to use your monitor for. If you intend to use it for watching movies and TV and playing console games in addition to PC games, you will want a model with multiple HDMI ports so you can connect all of your devices to it. If you love fast, twitchy shooters, you will want a fast model with zero input lag and no ghosting.
If you want to save money on your audio setup, you may want to seek out a monitor with solid built-in speakers. The best gaming monitor on a budget for you is all up to what you want to do with it.
We reviewed these ten gaming monitors using the following criteria: features, display quality, durability, and warranty. Each entry features pros and cons for its respective product to help you make the choice that best suits your needs.
- Dell Gaming Monitor SE2417HG 23.6-InchTN LCD Monitor
- BenQ ZOWIE RL2455T 24-Inch 1080p Gaming Monitor
- Acer R240HY bidx 23.8-Inch IPS HDMI DVI VGA (1920 x 1080) Widescreen Monitor
- BenQ GL2460HM 24-Inch 1080p Gaming Monitor
- Acer GN246HL Bbid 24-Inch Full HD (1920 x1080) Widescreen 3D Gaming Monitor
- HP Pavilion 25xw 25-Inch IPS LED Backlit Monitor
- Asus VN248H-P 24-Inch Full-HD LED Monitor
- LG 25UM58-P 25-Inch 21:9 UltraWide IPS Monitor with Screen Split
- Dell SE2717H KYKMD 27-Inch Screen LED-Lit Monitor
- ViewSonic VX2452MH 24-Inch 60Hz 1080P Gaming Monitor
Dell Gaming Monitor SE2417HG 23.6-Inch TN LCD Monitor
Dell Gaming Monitor SE2417HG 23.6″ TN LCD Monitor with 2ms Response…
- Game conveniently – Conveniently switch your game play between a PC or gaming console with dual HDMI ports. VGA, 2 x HDMI 1.4, Audio line-out
- Enjoy a smooth and responsive game play with minimum input lag at a swift 2ms panel response time. Get superb clarity with Full HD resolution
- 1920×1080 resolution at 60Hz, TN Panel, 2ms response time, Piano black finish, aluminum painted riser, glossy thin bezels, matte screen, robust stand
This Dell monitor offers a speedy 1080p display within a 24-inch display surrounded by reasonably small, black bezels. The TN panel provides less ghosting than the IPS panels that many other monitors use, making it superior for fast first-person shooter gameplay.
The two millisecond response time is perfect for casual gaming, and the monitor comes equipped with two HDMI ports so you can easily switch between your PC and another device on the fly.
- TN panel has less ghosting than the competition
- 2ms response time means minimum input lag
- Two HDMI ports
- Low price
Dell’s customer service is top-notch, and if your warranty claim cannot be resolved over the phone they will ship a new monitor to you next-day thanks to their Advance Exchange Service.
BenQ ZOWIE RL2455T 24-Inch 1080p Gaming Monitor
BenQ ZOWIE RL2455T 24 inch 1080p Gaming Monitor | 1ms 75Hz | Black…
- 24″ 1920 x 1080 (1080p) Full HD Display supporting up to 75 Hz (configure through GPU settings).
- 1ms Response Time (GTG) to eliminate ghosting and lag, providing you the optimal console gaming experience.
- Exclusive Black eQualizer technology to enhance color representation and visual clarity, giving you the advantage on the battlefield.
This offering from BenQ is among the pricier options on our list, but it still ranks as a best gaming monitor on a budget. It has an ultra-low response time of 1ms and a refresh rate of 75Hz to keep ghosting to a minimum, making this another solid choice for fans of fast-paced games. Like Dell’s monitor above, it has a 24-inch screen that displays in 1080p resolution, but it also packs exclusive Black eQualizer technology, which improves black levels and overall color representation.
- 1ms response time
- Black eQualizer technology
- Customizable settings and factory presets
- Low-quality built-in speakers
- Pushes the budget limit
BenQ offers a three-year limited manufacturer’s warranty on this monitor, which is great for a product in this price range.
Acer R240HY bidx 23.8-Inch IPS HDMI DVI VGA (1920 x 1080) Widescreen Monitor
The Acer R240HY is a slick-looking monitor with a very thin bezel, and it lives up to its stylish appearance with great performance. It boasts a 1080p IPS panel that offers great color accuracy and good greyscale, and its 4ms response time is up there with much higher-end IPS panel displays.
The refresh rate of 60Hz is solid enough to keep ghosting to minimum, and it comes with one HDMI port and one VGA port so you can connect your PC and another device like a gaming console.
- High-quality IPS display
- HDMI and VGA ports
- Low price
- Low-quality base
- No built-in speakers
Acer offers a three-year limited warranty on this monitor, which gets you plenty of coverage for an inexpensive display.
BenQ GL2460HM 24-Inch 1080p Gaming Monitor
BenQ 24 Inch 1080P Monitor | 75 Hz for Gaming | Proprietary Eye-Care…
- 1ms response time for lightning fast gaming performance and ZeroFlicker technology for minimized eye strain and improved eye comfort during long hours of work or gaming
- Low Blue Light Technology filters out harmful blue light, effectively diminishing eye fatigue and irritation. Display Area (mm) 531.3×298.8
- ZeroFlicker technology virtually eliminates flicker at all brightness levels for minimized eye strain and improved eye comfort during long hours of use. Power Consumption (on mode.)- 25W. Power Consumption (based on Energy Star) – 17.48W
This monitor is more affordable than the BenQ ZOWIE listed above, but it still offers solid performance. Its 2ms response time is stellar and BenQ’s ZeroFlicker technology keeps eye strain to a minimum. It even has a built-in blue light filter to further reduce it. It looks great, too, with thin, glossy black bezels. Like the ZOWIE, this monitor has built-in speakers, but they leave something to be desired in the sound quality department.
- ZeroFlicker technology and blue light filter to reduce eye strain
- Solid picture quality
- Low price
- Built-in speakers are not great quality
BenQ’s solid three-year limited warranty applies to this monitor as well as the ZOWIE.
Acer GN246HL Bbid 24-Inch Full HD (1920 x1080) Widescreen 3D Gaming Monitor
Acer GN246HL 24in Full HD 3D LED Monitor (Renewed)
- These 24″ LED monitors deliver brighter Full HD 3D to intensify games and completely immerse you.
- The 1 ms short response time eliminates “ghosting”, for crisp and perfectly rendered action sequences.
- Built-in compatability with DVI, HDMI, and VGA connectivity. Never Compromise with your devices again.
The Acer GN246HL is the only available choice for gamers who want a lightning-fast 144Hz monitor on a budget. Its 24-inch TN panel has 1ms response time and even packs 3D capability. The biggest issue with this monitor is that the image quality itself is only okay, and the backlight has a slight flicker to it.
If you are looking for a display that is great for competitive gaming, this one will suit your needs. If you want something to make your prettiest games look their best, you will want to go with a different option.
- 144Hz display
- 3D capability
- 1ms response time
- Middling image quality
- Backlight flicker
- Right at the 200 dollar limit
Acer’s solid three-year limited manufacturer’s warranty also applies to the Acer GN246HL.
HP Pavilion 25xw 25-Inch IPS LED Backlit Monitor
HP Pavilion 25xw 25-in IPS LED Backlit Monitor – J7Y65AA#ABA
- Amazing angles: Share consistent high-color fidelity with In-Plane Switching (IPS) technology across a 25-inch diagonal screen. A stunning vantage point for everyone, from almost any angle
- Distinctively modern and accessible: The contemporary thin profile is enhanced by the modern white and silver colors. The open wedge stand design provides convenient access to VGA and dual HDMI ports
- Captivating imagery: Color and clarity radiate from the screen with Full HD 1920 x 1080 resolution, incredible 10,000,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio, 16:9 aspect ratio, and quick 7ms response time
This 1080p IPS display has great viewing angles, and its LED backlight technology provides crisp visuals while drawing less power than other kinds of displays. It has multiple ports, including VGA and HDMI, and its sleek design will look great on any desk. It produces rich, detailed colors, but its 7ms response time leaves something to be desired for gamers who prefer fast-paced games. In addition, it lacks built-in speakers.
- Excellent viewing angles
- Crisp, detailed images and great color
- Multiple types of input ports
- No built-in speakers
- Response time could be better
HP offers just 90 days’ worth of free support for this monitor, which is a far cry from the warranties its competitors are providing.
Asus VN248H-P 24-Inch Full-HD LED Monitor
The Asus VN248H-P falls in the middle of the road when it comes to price, but it offers more built-in display options than many competitors. Gamers can adjust these settings depending on the game they are playing to get the best possible experience. In addition, this monitor’s 1080p IPS display packs anti-flicker and blue light filtering technology to reduce eye strain, and it has a massive 178-degree viewing angle.
- Useful built-in display options
- Anti-flicker and anti-blue light technology
- Wide viewing angle
- Built-in speakers
- Picture quality could be better
- 5ms response time is slower than some on this list
Asus offers a solid three-year warranty on this LCD monitor.
LG 25UM58-P 25-Inch 21:9 UltraWide IPS Monitor With Screen Split
LG is a popular brand for televisions, but do they offer the best gaming monitor on a budget? The quality of the display is very solid, with the IPS panel providing good color accuracy and wide viewing angles, The 5ms response time is reasonably good, as well. The Black Stabilizer technology included in this monitor keeps games looking great even when their settings and scenes are dim.
It is also surprisingly good for multi-tasking thanks to its ability to split the display four ways. Anti-flicker technology makes it easy on the eyes, as well. The only major issue with this monitor is that it only packs HDMI ports: no VGA.
- Great color reproduction
- Black stabilizer
- Reasonable price
LG offers a one-year limited manufacturer’s warranty with this monitor, which pales in comparison to the many three-year warranties offered by the competition.
Dell SE2717H KYKMD 27-Inch Screen LED-Lit Monitor
Dell SE2717HR RVJXC 27″ Full HD 1920 X 1080 Monitor
- Dell 27 inch Full HD 1920 X 1080 Monitor
- 1 Year Advanced Exchange Service and 1 Year Limited Hardware Warranty
- Simple, stylish design with the thin glossy bezels, mattescreen and sturdy base for a clean, sleek look
This is the only monitor on our list that is larger than 24 inches, and it provides a lot of great picture quality in those extra inches. Its 27-inch IPS display offers great color accuracy and contrast provide a solid picture that balances out the fact that it is not the fastest monitor out there.
This monitor is well-build with a premium feel to it, making among the best gaming monitor on a budget. It may not have a wide range of input ports or other features, but for sheer beauty this monitor is a solid choice.
- Excellent picture quality
- High-quality build
- Larger screen
- Not many input ports
- Not many customizable options
Dell’s replacement policy comes into play with this monitor, as well, and their great customer service and solid warranty offering make this a safe buy.
ViewSonic VX2452MH 24-Inch 60Hz 1080P Gaming Monitor
ViewSonic VX2252MH 22 Inch 2ms 75Hz 1080p Gaming Monitor with HDMI DVI…
- FORM & FUNCTION: With modern design, and Full HD (1920x1080p) resolution, this monitor looks as good as it performs
- GAME ON: An arsenal of pre-set customizable visual modes keeps you ready for gaming and multimedia entertainment
- MAXIMIZED COLOR & CONTRAST: MEGA Dynamic Contrast Ratio delivers sharp, crisp images
This ViewSonic monitor’s name tells you a lot about it: it has a 24-inch, 1080p display with a decent 60Hz refresh rate and a speedy 2ms response time.
A navigational menu with built-in buttons on the monitor itself allows users to adjust their settings as they see fit, and the anti-glare coating on the screen ensures you can see every inch of the display. It sells at a low price in a box that includes all the cables you will need to get started, including HDMI, VGA, DVI, and even an audio cable.
- 2ms response time
- Customizable pre-sets to tailor your display
- Included cables
- Base height cannot be adjusted
ViewSonic offers a stellar three-year warranty that includes access to their US-based team of customer service representatives.
Image Source: Pixabay.com
Which is the best gaming monitor on a budget? It all depends on what you are looking for. Do you want the best picture quality at the expense of a little speed? Do you want the most blazing-fast monitor out there for competitive gameplay?
Whatever you are in the market for, one of these great monitors is sure to suit your needs. Personally, we think the ViewSonic ticked all the right boxes and would recommend it as a superior gaming monitor for a good price.
Featured Image Source: Unsplash.com