Lenovo has been pioneering the market for laptops in recent years. Their ThinkPad lineup of laptops has been hugely popular, selling almost 100 million times. Many university students and professors rely on their products every day.
Lenovo’s Yoga lineup of laptop computers is a more recent addition to their arsenal. These laptops can also be transformed into tablets.
In this article, we give a brief overview of the Lenovo Yoga 920, discussing its benefits and drawbacks. Then, we compare the Lenovo Yoga 920 to similar products offered by competitors, finally offering our thoughts on whether the Lenovo Yoga 920 is worthy of purchase.
An Overview of the Lenovo Yoga 920
Lenovo Yoga 920 – 13.9″ FHD Touch – 8Gen i7-8550U – 8GB – 256GB SSD
- 8th Gen Intel Core i7-8550U mobile processor; 8GB system memory; 256GB solid state drive (SSD); Intel UHD Graphics 620
- 13.9″ touch screen for hands-on control; 1920 x 1080 native resolution. IPS technology. LED backlight.
- Windows 10 Home operating system; Built for Windows Ink, Lenovo’s Active Pen 2 stylus included
The Lenovo Yoga 920 is a model built with a Full HD display and an Intel i5 processor.
Customers can also choose from models that display 4K resolution and feature an i7 processor. Additionally, customers can choose an optional stylus pen to use with the device, which can transform into a tablet using a watchband hinge.
This laptop features a 13.9-inch touchscreen with a 5mm bezel.
Lenovo claims that the model with the 4K display offers 15.5 hours of battery life while the model with the Full HD display offers 11 hours of battery.
This computer weighs 3 pounds.
Customers can choose from platinum silver, bronze, or copper colors.
- Extremely affordable
- 11-15 hours of battery life
- 8th generation of processors
- Watchband hinge
- The device is so thin
The Benefits of the Lenovo Yoga 920
- It’s evident that the Lenovo Yoga 920 is one of the most powerful and dynamic laptops available. Yet, at only $1199.99, it’s extremely affordable. Many companies offer laptops at this price point that can only be used as traditional laptops, not as tablets as well. Yet, the Lenovo Yoga 920 has multi-functionality, making its price all the more affordable. Essentially, you’re getting two devices, not one.
- The battery life on the Lenovo Yoga 920 is also notable, as 11-15 hours is essentially all day. This allows users to work stress-free using during the day and then charge it at night. Many modern laptops have all kinds of features that use up battery life, causing the device to be unreliable. Yet, the Lenovo Yoga 920 avoids this fate by offering unprecedented efficiency.
- Furthermore, the Lenovo Yoga 920 capitalizes on Intel’s 8th generation of processors. While many modern laptops use this processor, it’s still a testament to how cutting-edge the Yoga 920 is. Ultimately, this is the latest, greatest chip from Intel, allowing this laptop to offer customers a smooth, immersive experience.
The Benefits of the Touchscreen
The stunning display on the Lenovo Yoga 920 cannot be emphasized enough.
On a purely aesthetic level, the touchscreen gives this device a futuristic feel. The bezel is practically negligible on this device, meaning that the screen takes up essentially the entire area. This makes each experience incredibly immersive.
It’s amazing how sensitive most users are to small tweaks in the design of products. While it might seem insignificant, altering the bezel by a few millimeters makes a huge difference, especially when our devices are often so close our faces. Ultimately, we want to maximize the hardware that we are using.
Additionally, the touchscreen makes this laptop quite versatile, allowing many different types of users to use it. This makes it great for a family, in which the parents can use the laptop element for more professional purposes while the kids can use the tablet element for more entertainment purposes.
Of course, the converse could also be true, but the key is that this device has that functionality. Some computer companies think that touchscreens are just a modern trend that will go away soon, but a customer’s buying habits seem to contradict this prediction.
Ultimately, we think hybrid laptops are here to stay, and the touchscreen offered on the Lenovo Yoga 920 is one of the sleekest, most minimal available.
Due to such little bezel, Lenovo often advertises that this computer seems even smaller and more dynamic than it is. Thus, even though it’s advertised as having a 14-inch screen, this laptop feels like many laptops that have 12-inch screens. This is a further testament to its portability.
This makes the Lenovo Yoga 920 the perfect device to take when traveling anywhere.
The Benefits of the Stylus Pen
It’s a nice touch that Lenovo makes the stylus pen that can be used with this device optional. Many companies that make hybrid laptops include pens with every purchase, and this can be off-putting to some customers who don’t anticipate ever using it.
On another level, the stylus pen on the Lenovo Yoga 920 makes the device perfect for artists or students. Artists especially will love all of the drawing and painting applications that can be downloaded, as the device runs the Windows 10 Home operating system.
Furthermore, students will love the pen because it allows them to take notes traditionally in class yet retain an instant digital copy. Many note-taking applications exist that dovetail with the pen. This can make students more productive.
Many users will love the stylus pen simply because it feels so futuristic and cutting-edge. Even if it didn’t offer that much functionality, many users would still love the idea of using a pen on an electronic device. Yet, there are tons of things to do on the Lenovo Yoga 920 that make use of the pen. Many games exist that younger users will love, and simple doodling apps exist if you’re ever bored.
The Benefits of the Weight
The Lenovo Yoga 920 is one of the lightest computers on the market. This makes it great for taking with you on the go, when feeling light and nimble is most important.
Many companies offer hybrid laptops that weigh over 5 pounds, making them less portable. These devices can subtly drain your energy when used as a tablet. With the Lenovo Yoga 920, you never have to worry about this.
Many customers have claimed that their small child is able to use the tablet easily without any problems.
Additionally, when companies try to minimize the size and weight of their products, they can sometimes neglect the durability of the materials. But, Lenovo has made sure to consider that element. Many customers claim they’ve dropped their laptop several times already without noticing any imperfections in the computer’s functionality. Ultimately, Lenovo is known for making durable, long-lasting devices.
The Drawbacks of the Lenovo Yoga 920
- Some users have claimed that the fan on the Lenovo Yoga 920 is constantly on, making the computer loud and interrupting. Lenovo advertises a superior ventilation system on this device that results in an efficient yet silent machine. As such, this complaint is confusing, but still a factor to consider before purchasing this device.
- Other customers have noted that the battery life predictions are dubious and that the true battery life is only a fraction of the estimates listed.
- Ultimately, the Lenovo Yoga 920 has very few drawbacks. Some customers have complained about the kind of laptop this is, namely a hybrid laptop.
- Yes, if you are looking for a traditional laptop, then the Lenovo Yoga 920 might surprise you at first with its watchband hinge. There might be a small learning curve associated with mastering this device, making it questionable for older users with inferior eyesight or hand-eye coordination.
- Some users have even complained that this device is so thin that they are scared they might drop it. This causes the user to be extra cautious whenever using the device, leading to limited functionality. Ultimately, while this could be seen as a drawback, this could be avoided by simply altering your own psychology.
How Does The Lenovo Yoga 920 Compare to Products from Competitors?
Perhaps the most comparable product on the market is the Samsung Notebook 9 Pen.
This device also runs the Windows 10 Home operating system, features Intel’s 8th generation of processors, and has dual-functionality as a tablet.
The main difference is that the Samsung Notebook 9 pen has a smaller 13.3-inch screen and only offers a Full HD screen.
The Samsung Notebook 9 Pen comes with a stylus pen that many customers consider effective and easy to use.
Some critics claim that because the Samsung Notebook 9 Pen is more comfortable to hold, though this is an overtly subjective claim. In order to truly determine your electronics preferences, you need to interact with the product.
The Samsung Notebook 9 Pen’s display also features more bezel. Some customers say they like this, as it makes the device feel more substantial and supported. Other users, however, claim that less bezel is always better, and that the Notebook 9 Pen’s screen is clunky and ugly. These users think the Lenovo Yoga 920’s screen, on the other hand, is trendy and visually appealing.
In this sense, if you are very sensitive to the aesthetics of your product, the Lenovo Yoga 920 would be the ideal product for you.
Both Asus and Dell also offer hybrid laptops, specifically the ZenBook Flip and the Inspiron 17. Ultimately, these computers have very similar specifications to the Lenovo Yoga 920 and the Samsung Notebook 9 Pen. If you are on a budget, we suggest going with Dell’s Inspiron 17, as that is the cheapest hybrid laptop on this list.
What is the Public Perception of Lenovo
Lenovo is generally viewed as an innovative company that focuses on simple designs that are durable and reliable.
Many university students and professors use laptops offered by Lenovo, which shows how trustworthy they are. Ultimately, there is no one more desperate for functionality than a late professor rushing to class in order to deliver a presentation.
What’s great about Lenovo is that they also offer fantastic customer service. This is a necessity when your company is as large as Lenovo’s, yet many large computer companies skip out on this service. Yet, purchasing a computer is such an investment. You want to be supported in case of malfunction or defect.
Additionally, many users claim that Lenovo customer support is so extensive that they often call Lenovo when they have any question related to computers. Many of the technical support employees are considered very knowledgeable and can help you solve any issue that arises with your laptop.
Lastly, Lenovo is highly lauded for the computer accessories they make. Many users purchase these accessories to pair with laptops made by other companies. This is a testament to how reliable they are. Yet, the best usage of these accessories is with other Lenovo products.
Many customers have claimed that Lenovo mice pair perfectly with the Lenovo Yoga 920, especially if you deliver a lot of public lectures. The ThinkPad X1 mouse, for example, has a touchpad presenter at the bottom that allows you to toggle between slides.
Our Final Thoughts on the Lenovo Yoga 920
We think if you’re interested in purchasing a hybrid laptop, the Lenovo Yoga 920 is the way to go.
We think this is one of the most visually appealing hybrid laptops available as well as one of the most durable and efficient.
You can’t go wrong with the Intel processor, and the ability to use a stylus pen is ideal for anyone artistic. Ultimately, the Lenovo Yoga 920 will keep you entertained for hours, which also makes it perfect for travelers.
We think many comparable hybrid laptops exist on the market, some for slightly cheaper than the Lenovo Yoga 920. If you are on a budget, then it might be worthwhile to consider some of the hybrid laptops offered by Dell, Asus and Samsung.
Ultimately, we think it’s difficult to choose a modern hybrid laptop given how many options there are. The best way to decide, of course, is to use these devices in person first. We recommend going to your local electronics store to test them out. Then, you can be certain that your purchase meets your preferences.