So you just finished setting up your awesome gaming PC. You got an ultrawide gaming monitor with G-Sync. You purchased the latest and greatest GPU from Nvidia that can blow most current games out of the water. You got an awesome PC case that has all the bells and whistles and even outfitted it with LEDs. The one thing that’s left to complete your gaming experience is a gaming keyboard.
We get it! It can be very tempting to get a cheap keyboard after blowing your life savings to build the best gaming PC in your lifetime. However, if you want to have the best gaming experience possible, it’s not in your best interest to get a cheap, standard keyboard.
The best keyboard can go a long way in making your gaming experience a whole lot better. This is especially true if you want to play games on a competitive level. Plus, there’s just something cool about seeing your desk light up like a Christmas tree with a top-of-the-line keyboard.
So for today, we round up some of the best gaming keyboards that you can buy in the market today.
Why a Gaming Keyboard?
So why should you invest in a specialized keyboard for gaming? If it’s up to us, then you should definitely get one. However, if you’re still on the fence, here are the top reasons why a gamer keyboard makes sense.
1. Comfort is King
Whether you are typing or putting the hours on your favorite PC game, you want a keyboard that won’t turn your hands and fingers into a hurting mess.
A keyboard that’s specifically designed for gaming generally has features for providing the best comfort. This type of keyboard usually has well-spaced mechanical keys that make typing/input an absolute delight. Not to mention, they tend to have comfort features like wrist rests and padding all around.
This way, you can play for extended periods of time without hurting your hands and wrists.
2. Mechanical Feel and Feedback
Most gaming keyboards have mechanical keys, and nothing gives a good, tactile feedback than mechanical keyboards.
Feedback from your keyboard is a must if you’re all-in about gaming. If your keyboard can’t give you a confirmation of a keystroke, then it’s useless. Many gamers live for that clicky, tactile feedback, and it can be very satisfying on its own.
Mechanical keys are also much easier to press, which means faster typing speeds. In the long run, it’s also much more comfortable since you don’t have to press the keys as hard.
3. Macros for an Easier Life
Game keyboards feature macro keys in addition to a regular set of keys. Macros can be customized to perform certain commands and operations that can be used for your daily tasks or while playing games.
In addition, most gaming keyboards allow you to set multiple profiles for different games. So your macro keys will work differently depending on the game that you are playing.
Macros are basically keyboard shortcuts that will make your gaming life not just easier, but it can earn you some advantage as well when playing competitively.
4. Built to Last
Keyboards for gaming are designed to last.
Standard keyboards tend to have a durability of 1 million keystrokes, while gaming ones have an endurance of a whopping 50 million keystrokes.
Many manufacturers also allow users to replace the keys all by themselves. So in case you break a key or two, you can easily replace the key without spending too much.
5. All About the Looks
Many gamers will agree that keyboard with RGB lighting is just the coolest thing ever.
If you are building a gaming PC, being 100% isn’t enough. The cool factor is accounted for as well. And nothing screams cooler than an RGB keyboard that matches the other LEDs on the case and mouse.
It’s all about the freedom of customization.
The Best Gaming Keyboards for 2019
Now, let’s get to the good stuff! Below are some of the best kemyboards that you can have for your ultimate gaming PC.
- Six dynamic lighting effects with a signature integrated 18 LED light bar
- Solid steel frame provides durability and stability. Cable Length 1.8m. Light effects 6 LED modes and 4 brightness levels
- CHERRY MX mechanical keys for reliability. OS compatibility-Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7
The HyperX Alloy Elite is most likely the best gaming keyboard that fits most needs.
This keyboard sports a very simple, straightforward aesthetic but still offers features that one should expect from a good mechanical keyboard. It is available in three switches: Cherry MX Brown, Blue, and Red. It doesn’t have a dedicated macro column and RGB backlighting but it more than makes up for it with quality design and an affordable price.
The Alloy Elite is packed with features like USB passthrough, dedicated media controls, a removable wrist rest, and a beautiful red backlight. The additional titanium-colored textured keycaps are a nice addition to help your fingers find the most important keys, which can be the difference between winning and losing a game.
The Alloy Elite offers a value proposition that’s hard to ignore.
Cherry MX (Blue/Brown/Red)
Solid steel frame, signature integrated 18 LED light bar, dedicated media buttons, 6 LED modes and 4 brightness levels
- Aircraft-grade anodized brushed aluminum frame: Built to withstand a lifetime of gaming. Lightweight and rugged durability, necessary for a keyboard that's going to see a lot of action
- 8MB profile storage with hardware macro and lighting playback: Allow access up to three stored profiles on the go, independent of external software. Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7, or Windows Vista
- Dynamic multicolor per key backlighting with Light Edge: Adjust each key's color and illumination level in addition to 19-zones on the top edge light bar for sophisticated and dramatic animations
If you are looking for the last gaming keyboard in your life, make it the Corsair K95 RGB Platinum.
Corsair has an impressive lineup when it comes to gaming keyboards but the K95 stands out due to its massive size. So be sure that you have a proper desk real estate before thinking of getting this bad boy. However, it’s not just a big keyboard as it’s just as impressive feature-wise.
It has RGB lighting, dedicated media controls, USB passthrough, metal volume wheel, textured keycaps, programmable G-keys, and many more. The K95 Platinum also sports a beautiful build with an aircraft-grade anodized brushed aluminum frame that matches the RGB lighting perfectly.
This is obviously not for the budget-conscious. However, this is pretty much the definition of paying for the best.
Cherry MX Speed (Brown)
Aircraft-grade anodized brushed aluminum frame, 8MB profile storage with hardware macro and lighting playback, 100% CHERRY MX Speed RGB mechanical key switches, 6 programmable G-keys
- GAMING KEYBOARD - BLACK VERSION; 87 Key Mechanical Gaming Keyboard with Custom Mechanical Switches (Cherry Blue equivalent) designed for longevity with greater durability and responsiveness The Mechanical Keyboard Keys offer medium resistance, audible click sound, and crisp, precise tactile feedback for ultimate Gaming performance.
- MECHANICAL USB GAMING KEYBOARD - NO BACKLIGHT; The perfect mechanical keyboard for office or home use. Mini mechanical keyboard with 87 keys WITHOUT Backlighting and separate number gaming keypad. Featuring laser etched keycaps offering lettering that doesn't scratch off
- ANTI GHOSTING KEYBOARD; ALL 87 mechanical gaming keyboards keys are conflict free (n-Key Rollover) for ultimate Gaming performance. Featuring 12 Multimedia keys, Non-Slip Ergonomic, splash-proof Design with adjustable rear feet for the perfect typing angle, High-Speed USB cable with gold-plated corrosion free USB connector for a reliable connection which will stand up to fast hardcore gaming.
If you are really serious about getting a cheap keyboard, skip the membrane type and make it the Redragon K552-N Kumara.
This keyboard is a great entry point to the world of mechanical keyboards. However, this is not a good keyboard just because it’s dirt-cheap. The keyboard is outfitted with double-injected keycaps and a metal backplate, which should be more than enough to resist the occasional bumps. It features the Outemu switch, which is claimed to be an MX blue equivalent, so it can be rather loud.
The keyboard lacks the bells and whistles of a standard gamer keyboard. There’s no backlighting, no passthroughs, no dedicated media control, and more. Despite the lack of features, this keyboard feels surprisingly well made.
A very decent mechanical keyboard for the price of six pumpkin spice lattes.
Outemu (Cherry Blue equivalent)
80% / TKL Keyboards (Tenkeyless)
Ultra-durable keys tested to 50 million keystrokes, plate mounted keys, aircraft-grade aluminum and ABS construction, high-end switches with mechanical ultra-last springs
- MULTI-AWARD WINNING RAZER MECHANICAL SWITCHES: Designed specifically for gaming. Durable up to 80 million keystrokes
- IDIVIDUALLY BACKLIT KEYS: Powered by Razer Chroma with 16.8 million customizable color options
- ERGONOMIC WRIST REST: Ensure long hours of comfortable gaming
Are you looking for a game keyboard that would complement the rest of your Chroma-lit accessories? The Razer BlackWidow Chroma V2 is the right product for you.
The BlackWidow Chroma V2 strikes the perfect balance between comfort and performance. The keys felt great, with solid feedback but still with enough bounce to keep your hands moving. It’s not the quietest keyboard but it provides a great deal of satisfaction to both the ear and touch. Overall, the keys are enjoyable for both typing and gaming.
In the looks department, Razer really knows how to make products that look great – the BlackWidow Chroma V2 is no exception. It features a minimal design but it still looks elegant and premium without going overboard. The vibrant color lighting is a definite plus.
Razer does it again with the BlackWidow Chroma V2.
Razer Green, Orange or Yellow
80 million key strokes lifespan, removable wrist rest, built-in anti-ghosting technology, powered by Razer Synapse, macro keys
- LIGHTSPEED wireless technology for super fast 1 ms report rate
- Romer-G mechanical switches deliver quiet, precise mechanical performance and 70 million click life for incredible feel and durability
- Six programmable G keys put custom macro sequences and in-app commands at your fingertips.1 Customize G key profiles individually for each app
The Logitech G613 is the best wireless gamer keyboard that you can find in the market, bar none.
Despite being a wireless peripheral, the G613 has never once dropped a connection despite having several wireless devices on the desk. It’s like having a wired keyboard in terms of responsiveness and stability.
Since it’s a wireless device, many of you are probably concerned with its battery life. Well, a full battery will last for over a year. Obviously, that’s a non-issue for this keyboard. It also comes with a slew of features like media controls, dedicated macros, and a non-removable wrist rest.
The keyboard comes with a proprietary switch with a travel distance of just 3mm. The feedback is rather subtle and mild which makes it perfect for quiet environments.
It does lack backlighting, which is likely a move to maximize battery life.
Logitech Romer-G Tactile
LIGHTSPEED wireless technology for super fast 1 ms report rate, Romer-G mechanical switches, six programmable G keys, multihost 2.4GHz + Bluetooth
- High-Performance Mecha-Mechanical Switches: Provides the tactile feedback of mechanical key press on a comfortable, soft-cushioned, membrane, rubber dome switch suitable for gaming
- Ultimate Personalization and Gaming Immersion with Razer Chroma: Offers effortless, full integration with popular game titles and syncs with Razer hardware, Philips Hue, and gear from 30+ partners; supports 16.8 million colors on individually backlit keys
- Fully Programmable Macro Support: Razer Hypershift allows for all keys and keypress combinations to be remapped to execute complex commands
The Razer Ornata Chroma is membrane keyboard with a mechanical performance.
The keyboard uses the Razer Mecha-Membrane Technology, which combines the clicky feedback of mechanical keys with the conventional rubber dome switch. We have to say that Razer has done a great job with the Ornata Chroma as we really loved our typing experience with it. Who knows that a tactile point and clicky feedback can improve a membrane keyboard?
The keys are also individually backlit and can be programmed up to 16.8 million customizable color options through Razer Synapse. The leatherette wrist rest does a great job of making gaming sessions a lot more comfortable. On a downside, the faux leather tends to deteriorate quickly especially if your hands tend to sweat.
The Ornata Chroma is the perfect combination of mechanical sound without waking up the neighbors every time you type.
Razer Mecha-Membrane Technology
Razer Mecha-Membrane, mid-height keycaps, individually backlit keys, wrist rest, 10-key roll over
- Brilliant RGB lighting with 16.7 million colors - no dull, muted colors here. A patented design makes each per key LED pop-out and shine.
- Multiple lighting modes - customize each color with or without software. Preset modes include color wave, Breathing, and unique responsive effects.
- 100% authentic CHERRY MX red switches - gamers demand the best, which is why the Master keys Pro L only uses 100% authentic CHERRY MX switches.
The Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro L is a versatile keyboard with a superb build.
One thing that we love about the MasterKeys Pro L is its minimal, space-saving design. It doesn’t have oversized borders and other funky design features. It does feel like a quality keyboard with an impressive build. The frame doesn’t flex and we felt no vibration while typing. It’s an MX brown too so the keys are silent with a satisfying tactile feedback.
As you can see, the keyboard only features white LEDs, which is perfect for people who don’t want their desks looking like the ‘80s Miami Vice. Instead, we have these white LEDs that look on-point. There’s a reflective metal plate that helps amplify the brightness if you’re gaming at night.
If you want your gamer keyboard in a clean and tidy package, this is it.
Cherry MX Brown
White LED lighting, multiple lighting modes, CHERRY MX brown switches, on-the-fly macros and profile support, 100% anti-ghosting
That wraps up our list of the best gaming keyboard for the serious gamer.
The best gaming keyboard will not just elevate your game to a whole new level, but it can boost your productivity as well. Gaming keyboards are simply a must if you want a full decked-out gaming PC.
So what’s your favorite gaming/mechanical keyboard? Is it on the list? If not, let us know the keyboard that should have made the list using the comments below.