Buying a laptop can be an overwhelming experience since there are so many options on the market.
Consequently, many customers need guidance in the beginning of their buying process.
We’ve created a “what laptop should I buy” quiz in order to help customers with their decision. Customers who feel overwhelmed by the market for laptops can take this quiz to better understand their buying preferences.
With each question, we offer a brief discussion concerning how that theme relates to the laptop buying process.
Why Do You Want a Laptop?
- This question on the “what laptop should I buy” quiz concerns your initial motivations for buying a laptop.
- It’s important to review your motivations before you make any kind of significant investment. Sometimes our motivations can be hijacked by the media, family members, or even our friends. Taking a second to review why we even want what we want can be helpful for grounding ourselves in the present moment.
- Many customers want a laptop due to some ulterior motive, not because they actually would benefit from its features. Before you begin this process, make sure that you don’t already have a perfectly functioning computer. Alternatively, make sure your motivations are genuine and are not superficially related to owning yet another expensive gadget.
Are You on a Budget?
This is one of the most important questions on the “what laptop should I buy” quiz.
- If you are on a budget, make sure you set your limits before you begin your research, but don’t follow these limits too strictly. Ultimately, limits are there to guide us, but they can be confining if we follow them too closely. Some customers set such strict parameters concerning finances that they miss out on the laptop of their dreams simply because it was $10 more than their limit.
- Perhaps the best way to think about budget is over the long term. Really reflect on how long you will use this laptop as well as all the benefits it will be providing. Even though a laptop might seem expensive, considered on a daily level, it’s really quite cheap. An average laptop lasts at least 5 years. Just using that number with a $1000 laptop, it would cost you 55 cents a day to use it. That’s incredible considering all the features that modern laptops offer.
- If you don’t have a budget, then consider buying a limited-edition laptop, as many of these exist with unique designs and aesthetics. For example, this version of the Lenovo Yoga 920 is a popular option.
Are You Loyal to a Certain Company?
- Many customers become accustomed to an interface offered by a certain company.
- Apple is notable for having many loyal customers who just simply love the design of their products. These customers will only use Apple products, regardless of the features.
- For this question on the “what laptop should I buy” quiz, consider the brands of the electronics you currently own and have owned in the past. Is there a certain company that you consistently go with? Is there a certain company that you consistently avoid? Sometimes it’s best to keep it status quo and go with a company that has delivered in the past.
What Features Will You Be Using?
- Once you’ve determined why you want a laptop, try to specify the exact features that you’ll be using.
- This question on the “what laptop should I buy” quiz could be considered the most important. Ultimately, the best way to determine what laptop to buy is to single the choice down by features. Yet, this can only be done once you’ve specified those features.
- Many customers find it helpful to write down the features they want on a white board. This can guide them throughout the entire process, reminding them of certain critical themes they want their laptop purchase to address.
- Furthermore, many customers can find it helpful to ask themselves the converse of this question. Specifically, try reflecting on the features that you don’t want to use. Within these features, distinguish the ones that are deal breakers from the ones that are undesirable but still tolerable.
- Review these lists constantly throughout the entire buying process. This can minimize any buying errors related to ignorance. Many customers end up purchasing the wrong laptop simply because they forgot which features they wanted and didn’t want. By making a list, you can avoid this fate.
Who Will Be Using the Laptop?
- This question on the “what laptop should I buy” quiz concerns the other humans in your life.
- Will anyone else other than you be using the laptop? If so, who?
- Ultimately, if you have children that will also be using the laptop, you want to make sure to get a device that has many entertaining features. Additionally, if children are involved, you want to make sure the laptop is durable and reliable and that various warranties are available.
- Kids are notorious for breaking laptops, so it’s crucial that you reflect on this question of the “what laptop should I buy” quiz before you make your purchase. Buying a screen made from Corning Gorilla Glass, for example, could help your laptop be more resistant when used by your kids.
What Kind of Laptop Do You Want?
- This question on the “what laptop should I buy” quiz addresses the various kinds of laptops that exist.
- Before you begin your research, it’s important to determine if you want a traditional laptop or a hybrid laptop.
- Traditional laptops allow users to interact with the screen only using a keyboard that is built into the hardware of the machine. Hybrid laptops, on the other hand, also offer the ability to be used as a tablet. This means that they have a touchscreen that can navigated using your finger.
- This question on the “what laptop should I buy” quiz represents an important bifurcation in the buying process. Ultimately, hybrid laptops offer a very different experience than traditional laptops.
- If you are sensitive to new technology and want a device that you can master right out of the box, then perhaps a traditional laptop is the way to go. Alternatively, if you want to stay at the cutting edge and don’t mind taking some time to master a new technology, then hybrid laptops are the way to go.
Do You Want to Purchase it Online?
- Buying a laptop online can help you save money, as many used and refurbished models exist.
- Additionally, many websites offer bundles and deals to entice customers. While you should be cautious of these, some of them are actually worthwhile.
- This is especially the case if you shop during the Holidays. While many of the same deals exist in store, these can often be a hassle to access given how crowded these environments can be.
- Many customers use a combination of online research and in store interaction to narrow down which laptop they want. Online research can be great for acquiring product specifications and user reviews, but in store interaction provides a preview of what owning the produce would be like.
- Many customers complain that they don’t want to wait for the laptop to arrive in the mail. Yet, this can be minimized by using many online websites. Amazon, for example, offers Prime Members same-day shipping or 2-day shipping on many products.
- Answering this question on the “what laptop should I buy” quiz might lead to you enrolling in some kind of online membership. This could lead to saved money in the future.
We think it’s important to have a strategy when purchasing an expensive electronic like a laptop. Having a list of questions and themes to consider before beginning your research is one way that many customers ensure themselves a smooth, efficient buying process.
Perhaps the most important question concerns whether you want a hybrid laptop. These laptops are fundamentally different from traditional laptops, and customers that want a hybrid laptop might have to consider different features or models.
Additionally, we think having a budget is critical as a guide but should not restrain you from considering a product. Sometimes customers fall in love with products that they can’t afford. Yet, they’re patient and buy it eventually when they can afford it.
In this sense, it’s important to consider this “what laptop should I buy” quiz at all times to ensure that you actually want the laptop you are considering at the time you are considering it. Sometimes the passing of time can change your perspective. Consider waiting a couple of weeks and seeing if the same laptop still appeals to you.
As long as you’re methodical and empirical, you’ll guarantee yourself a smooth buying process. When you allow your emotions to interfere with your decisions, you can make irrational decisions that you later regret. In order to avoid this, make sure you genuinely reflect on each question on this quiz. It will help you find the ideal laptop.